Monday, November 19, 2007

Student uses Facebook to raise funds for $3,000 RIAA settlement

Ashley Havlena, a junior nursing major at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, was shocked when she read her e-mail before going to class on Nov. 5.

The e-mail was from the Recording Industry Association of America, and it said she had 20 days to pay $3,000 for 87 songs she illegally downloaded, or she would have to go to court.

"I went to go take my test and cried throughout the whole thing," Havlena said. "It was the worst day of my life."


Later that day, Havlena talked to her roommates about how she'd pay her fine.

They suggested she start a Facebook group asking for donations. Havlena was unsure if this would work, but her roommates set up a group called "3,000 Friends for Ashley Havlena." The concept was to get 3,000 people to join the group and donate a dollar.

"I have a big problem taking the money from people because I don't want to be begging for money," Havlena said. "I realize it is my fault and I shouldn't have been downloading."

The group has 381 members and has raised about $270.

"I don't think I am going to get all the money, but my parents are going to pay for most of it, and I am going to pay them back," Havlena said.

Havlena is not the only student on campus to receive an early settlement letter from the RIAA.

This semester 40 students have received letters, said Zachary Reimer a network security analyst for UNL's information services department.

David Solheim, the president of the Association of Students of the University of Nebraska and a senior economics and political science major, said he thinks universities are targeted because most college students download music.

"Universities are dense collections of people who download music illegally so (the RIAA) can draw large response by targeting universities," Solheim said. "UNL is the number one most targeted school in the nation."

ASUN has passed six bills this year regarding the various impacts of RIAA letters on campus. ASUN wants students to know how to avoid getting in trouble with the RIAA.

Solheim said the best way not to get in trouble is to not download on campus, but that didn't work for Havlena.

"I only downloaded 33 songs on campus and the rest I did this summer at my apartment off campus," Havlena said. "When I was off campus I figured I was safe."

Havlena was fined for the 54 songs she downloaded off campus in addition to the ones on campus.

"Even if it is a small scale, it's a bad idea to download," Havlena said.

If a student does get in trouble with the RIAA, they should seek legal advice from an attorney or Student Legal Services, Solheim said.

Thomas Keefe, an attorney for student legal services, gave Havlena advice on her case.

"Seek legal advice one way or another - educate yourself," Keefe said.

ALISSASKELTON@DAILYNEBRASKAN.COM, Link - DailyNebraskan.com

0 comments:

Ochre FixSim_112007